Cell: +27 83 430 6790 | Email:mac@thehumanelement.co.za

The Human Element evolution

Logo (640x453)On 1 March 2005 I started my training and development and consultancy business, and today is the 7th anniversary of what has been both an awesome learning experience and a roller coaster ride from hell!

I made all the mistakes one makes when you are desperate to get out of the corporate world – the day you reach the point when you know you are no longer a good employee and are likely to thump your boss if you have to deal with him for one more day…  I left the security of having a senior position in a well paid job, but unfortunately at a company whose ethics I could not reconcile myself with, and so, with no pre-planning, no client list and absolutely no clue about setting up a business, creating my branding, etc., I went back to my roots in adult education and started the business.

Initially I had two key clients – the private healthcare company I worked at for 15 years prior to being head-hunted to the company I left, and a company for whom I was previously a client.  Since then, I have branched out to work with clients in many different industries in the private sector, as well as for a number of departments in the public sector, both in training and providing consultancy services to them.  As difficult as it is to be an entrepreneur in South Africa in the unstable world economy that we are part of, I love what I do and I am grateful that I now control my own destiny and can provide excellent service within the boundaries of my own ethical values and high standards – very empowering!

Thanks to my family, friends and of course my past, present and new clients for your support.  I would not have been celebrating today without you!

14 Comments

1. Anil Salick on March 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm

You have been a pleasure to be associated with. I salute you for your determination, tenacity and positive spirit. May you continue to grow from strength to strength on this wonderful journey. Congratulations for 7 years!

2. Mary-Anne Calvert on March 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Thank you Anil – it has been great working with you over the years and having a ‘kindred spirit’ who understands the industry, the difficulties and the rewards that come with the process of developing people. I wish you all the best too!

3. Karen Brokensha on March 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Congrats Mary-Ann, no mean feat to be the tea lady, oa and MD, keep working in the business and on the business and at the end of the day deliver a great service at a profit that keeps your customers asking for more!

Let share that 7 year old bottle of bubbles to celebrate being striving entrepreneurs 🙂

Well done again and kind regards,
    Karen

• Mary-Anne Calvert on March 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Definitely, we must do that soon. Well done to you too Karen!

Here’s to the next 7 years…

4. Marjon Meyer on March 2, 2012 at 5:06 am

Dear Mary-Ann, as a fellow training and development entrepreneur, I know what a big achievement this is. All the best for many successful years ahead!

Marjon

5. Dharmendra Parekh on March 2, 2012 at 8:35 am

Hi Mary-Anne,

Wishing you and the Company all the best.

May you grow from strength to strength.

• Mary-Anne Calvert on March 2, 2012 at 9:07 am

Thanks Dharmendra – I appreciate your feedback and support!

6. Mary-Anne Calvert on March 2, 2012 at 8:57 am

Thank you Marjon, I appreciate your support and wish you all the best too!

7. Debbie Jones on March 2, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Mary-Anne, congratulations on this milestone in your business and see this as an achievement, especially within your industry. Even in business, they speak of the seven year itch, so well done!
    We at Three Peaks wish you success as you move into the second phase, seven year cycle, developing and changing and realising purposes.

8. Mary-Anne Calvert on March 2, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Thank you Debbie – somehow this does feel like a major milestone! I look forward to working with you and your team in what will be a new industry for me. I’m sure the synergies between us will make for an excellent client/service provider partnership!

9. Charles Kohler on March 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

Hiya Mary-Anne. Congrats on the milestone and may you grow stronger in business with each passing year! You are in the right vocation with your ability to nurture people and so will no doubt continue to achieve!

• Mary-Anne Calvert on March 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Thanks Charles – I appreciate your feedback!

10. Marilyn Scholtz on March 6, 2012 at 11:46 am

Wow! I can’t believe it’s that long! It seems like the other day we were facilitating together… I hope that The Human Element continues to grow and bring you self fulfilment as it benefits those it serves.

• Mary-Anne Calvert on March 7, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Thanks Marilyn, it’s great to hear from you and I appreciate your feedback!

All the best